20 June 2010

A Simple Miso Soup - Recipe

Now that I am the proud owner of a stash of Japanese ingredients I wasted no time in putting them to good use. One of the things I had been craving was a really good, simple miso soup. In Tokyo I was surprised at the variety of miso soups they serve, some came with fish, others with the smallest clams I had ever seen, and each one seemed to have a slightly different dashi base.

Here´s my interpretation of a simple miso soup. Warm, soothing and full of that wonderful umami taste. I decided not to make my own dashi stock from scratch as I was feeling a little lazy but I used Ajinomoto Hon-Dashi granulated dashi stock instead. To it I added some white miso paste and garnished with some wakame and silken tofu. I would also have added some sliced spring onion but I didn´t have any in the fridge.
L-R: white miso paste, dashi stock, wakame
Close-up of the dried wakame
Miso soup with tofu and wakame
Such a simple and satisfying soup. One of my favourites. All I need now are some of those beautiful lacquered wooden miso soup bowls.

Ingredients (serves 2)
4 cups of water
2 tbsp white miso paste
1-2 tsp instant dashi powder
2-3 tsp dried wakame
150g silken tofu
1 spring onion, thinly sliced

Method
1.  Bring the water to boil in a saucepan
2.  Add the instant dashi powder and stir
3.  Add the miso paste and stir, letting it dissolve into the liquid
4.  Add the wakame and leave for 1 minute to soften
5.  Cut the tofu into blocks and place into two soup bowls
5.  Pour the soup over the tofu and garnish with the spring onions

No comments:

Post a Comment