26 September 2011

Norwegian Baked Cheesecake with Brunost-Pecan Caramel – Recipe


I'm a cheesecake fiend. I absolutely adore the stuff. Not those insipid excuses made with gelatine, mind; I can't abide those. No, what I usually crave is a proper Nuuu Yoik baked cheesecake, with its creamy sour tang. Nothing else will do.

I wanted to make a cheesecake with a Norwegian touch, so instead of the typical Philadelphia cream cheese I used a mixture of a creamy Norwegian cheese called Snøfrisk as well as a curd cheese called skjørost.
Snøfrisk is a relatively new cheese, having been introduced to Norway at the time of the 1994 Winter Olympics (go Lillehammer!), and is made with 80% goat's milk and 20% cow's cream. It's a bit like normal cream cheese but with a tart taste that has the merest hint of very fresh goat's cheese (but don't worry, the mild goat's cheese taste doesn't come through after baking the cake).

Skjørost, on the other hand, is a mild Norwegian curd cheese made from skimmed milk, not too dissimilar to cottage cheese. For this recipe I used some wonderful organic skjørost from Røros Dairy who still make this cheese. Traditionally skjørost was eaten with tjukkmjølk (a thick sour milk), sour cream, and sugar, usually as an accompaniment to spekemat (Norwegian cured meats). But skjørost can be used much as you would regular cottage cheese.

The mix of these two cheeses works pretty well. Either cheese on its own would probably give perfectly fine results, but I think a blend of the two gives a really good balance of flavour as well as a filling that's not too dense.

At its heart, this cake is a New York style baked cheesecake. One of my favourite places to visit in New York is Magnolia Bakery in the West Village. In particular they make a stunning mini-cheesecake topped with caramel and pecans. I wanted to make a similar topping but with a little Norwegian twist. So I decided to mix some brunost cheese into a regular caramel sauce. Brunost – the traditional Norwegian brown cheese – is such a versatile cheese and its sweet caramel notes work well in both desserts and savoury dishes.

This cheesecake is definitely better after a night in the fridge, but if you're like me you won't be able to resist tucking in to some straight away.

Ingredients
For the base:
  • 225g digestive biscuits (or graham crackers)
  • 50g unsalted butter
For the filling:
  • 300g skjørost cheese (you could use cottage cheese instead)
  • 450g Snøfrisk cheese (or normal cream cheese)
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1tbsp lemon juice
  • 1tsp lemon zest
  • 175g sour cream
For the brunost-pecan caramel topping:
  • 160g sugar
  • 40ml water
  • 180ml double cream
  • 50g brunost, sliced
  • 30g pecan nuts, roughly chopped

Method
Start by making the biscuit base:

1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (fan)

2. Crush the biscuits in a food processor or by bashing them in a food bag with a rolling pin into crumbs.

3. Melt the butter and mix well with the biscuit crumbs.

4. Line a 22-24cm diameter springform cake tin with baking paper (optional if using a non-stick tin) and pour in the biscuit crumbs.
5. Using your hands or a metal spoon press the crumbs firmly down into a level and even base.

6. Bake the base in the oven for 10 mins and let cool on a wire rack.

Now for the filling:

7. Blend the cheeses and the sugar well in an electric mixer until fluffy.

8. Add the eggs one at a time and continue mixing.

9. Finally add the lemon juice, zest and sour cream and briefly, but thoroughly, mix together.

10. Wrap the bottom and sides of the cake tin in foil and place in a baking tray filled with 2-3cm water.

11. Pour the filling into the cake tin and lower the oven temperature to 150°C (fan). Bake in the oven for 70 minutes.

12. Switch off the oven and open its door slightly. Leave the cake in the oven for 30 minutes or so to cool down. You'll know if the cake is done when it has a very slight wobble right at the centre but is set around.
13. Place the cheesecake in the fridge to chill.

14. Meanwhile make the caramel topping. Put the sugar and water in a pan. Heat over a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Once dissolved stop stirring and continue heating.

15. Once the mixture has turned deep amber (don't let it get too dark), quickly take it off the heat and add the cream and brunost. Stir well so everything is thoroughly mixed in.
16. Pour into a pouring jug and place in fridge to cool completely.

17. The cake is best served chilled as it improves the texture of the filling and the caramel sauce thickens up nicely when cold. So it's best to refrigerate cake and sauce for 4-5 hours or overnight. But, if you're like me, you won't be able to resist having some straight away – it just means the caramel sauce is a bit runnier than it would otherwise be.

18. To serve, remove the cheesecake from the tin, pour over the caramel and sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top.

16 comments:

  1. I love the nordic twist! I wish I could get some Nordic dairy products down here, I do miss a lot of what we get in Sweden and now also what I could get in Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love Snøfrisk and I have never thought of using it like this. Never got around in making cheese cake because never have that other brand cream cheese around, because the only cream cheese I can manage to eat IS Snøfrisk!!

    Amazing how a foreigner is needed to tell us what to do with our amazing ingredients.

    Some chains also have the Snøfrisk in a firm type, so you can use your ostehøvel on it ;). A bit tangy, I used most of it shredded on a pizza. Got slighty burned, but it tasted wonderful burned!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am loving all of this. I've been thinking of a Brunost cheesecake for a long time. This is a nice twist and now I need to track down some Snøfrisk here. I think I saw it at a specialty store here. As always I love coming here and being surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to TINE snofrisk and brown cheese are fairly easy to find in the USA. I am inspired by this. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea! I've heard of quark cheesecake, but never a cheesecake using Norwegian cheeses. Thanks for sharing--it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diet or no diet I feel the unbelievable urge to make this beauty of a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY! Tat (Beirut)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The idea of a caramel sauce made from brunost just sound so right. I am definitely going to have to get my hands on another block of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does graham crackers available in Oslo super markets? If yes, could you please tell me the Norwegian name for it or some tip to find it? Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to find graham crackers here in Oslo, but you can use McVitie's Digestive biscuits, or the søt havrekjeks from Bixit which are both readily available in stores.

      Delete
    2. thank you soooooooooooo much Nordic Nibbler. I'm going to KIWI supermarket now to get it :)

      Delete
  10. Hi, I have a question about one of the items you mentioned. I live in Seattle in the Scandinavian neighborhood called Ballard. This year I went to the Yulefest at the local Nordic Heritage Museum where they served this creamy soup. We asked the name, which I promptly forgot, and the lady serving us said it was like liquid cheesecake. And it was very similar to the cheesecake taste, but in soup form and they had cinnamon and butter for us to put on top.
    You mention the cheese skjørost and how it is traditionally eaten. Now, this wasn't served with meat, but is this possibly the cheese soup we had? Or do you happen to know what we had?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it might have been rømmegrøt, which is a tradition soupy porridge made with sour cream. It's traditionally eaten sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon and melted butter. Very tasty too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I've been trying to figure out what it was since November!

      Delete
  11. I am going to have to try this; however, the first challenge will be for me to convert the measurements from metric to standard so I have something to measure them out with. LOL The next will be to find the cheeses in Texas. And so the quest begins... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I'm always having to do the conversion the other way from recipes I find. Igourmet sell brown cheese and snøfrisk online. For the skjørost it might be tricky getting hold of it in the US, so I'd just use cottage cheese instead.

      Delete